Comoros has temporarily suspended newly introduced fuel price increases after protests escalated into deadly clashes across the island nation.
The decision follows unrest on the island of Anjouan, where one person was killed and five others injured during confrontations between demonstrators and security forces.
Energy Minister Aboubacar Saïd Anli said the government, led by President Azali Assoumani, reversed the price hikes to allow for dialogue. “There was no other solution than to listen to them. The goal is to preserve peace,” he said.
The fuel price increases, introduced on May 9, saw diesel rise by 46% and petrol by 35%, with authorities citing global oil market pressures linked to the Middle East conflict.
Protests intensified after a meeting between local officials and a fishermen’s association in the town of Mirontsy, which had been on strike over rising fuel costs. Demonstrators blocked roads in Mutsamudu, Anjouan’s capital, as tensions spread.
A broader nationwide strike had already disrupted daily life, paralysing transport services in the capital Moroni. According to the national human rights commission, at least 39 people were detained during the unrest.
Authorities have launched a judicial investigation into the fatality reported near Mpage, as unions representing transport workers and merchants announced an end to the strike following the government’s concession.
The episode highlights the fragility of domestic stability in the face of global energy shocks, particularly in import-dependent economies like Comoros.







